• Address the design and performance of passive two-phase flow separator technologies.
• Determine range of flow rates for acceptable performance.
• Quantify the effect of fluid properties and separator geometry.
• Determine separator response and stability envelope to startup, shutdown and liquid slugging conditions.
• Gas-liquid separators are targeted for use in Active Thermal Control Systems (ATCS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) applications
• Prevent degraded performance or shortened life for components that accept a single phase input, i.e., centrifugal pumps and compressors.
• Passive separation is highly reliable and consumes minimum power.
• Design and build experiment package that can meter air and water into test articles.
• Two different design concepts (one specified by each PI team) for cyclonic separators will be tested.
• Technology customer co-I will specify minimal design performance parameters. PI’s will have opportunity to expand that performance envelope.