• Address the design and performance of passive two-phase flow separator technologies.
• Determine range of flow rates for acceptable performance.
• Quantify the effect of fluid properties and separator geometry.
• Determine separator response and stability envelope to startup, shutdown and liquid slugging conditions.
• Advanced gas-liquid separators are targeted for use in Advanced Life Support (ALS) Fluids degassing and power generation applications.
• Provides highly reliable low power gas liquid separation.
• Promote enhanced phase change by removing second phase and to promote contact with heat transfer surface.
• Design and build experiment package that can meter air and water into test articles.
• Two different design concepts (one specified by each PI team) for cyclonic separators will be tested.
• Early unique diagnostic instruments demonstrations to assess and refine science requirements and to reduce technical risks proceeding to flight development phase.